But today's discussion is about the "Troop Surge" in Afghanistan. Why? Do we need it?
I say (quite often) that we are in the second decade of the Bush hundred years war.
If you see this point of view (starting with the FIRST gulf-war in 1990), you will see that we are not in a short term commitment. (In my personal opinion), It was NOT a smart decision by our past president to declare war in Iraq (and Afghanistan).
However, we absolutely need to start to transition and train local troops so they can take over for us.
Think of it this way.
We've Already Lost the Bush war in Iraq. Before we lose the Bush war in Afghanistan, we need to understand that Afghanistan and Pakistan share a very loose, non-patrolled border, and Pakistan is STILL a nucc-ulear power.
If we do NOT help to stabilize Afghanistan, the damage that has just STARTED in Pakistan will continue, and will lead to Pakistan becoming a failed state, just like Afghanistan, or Somalia.
This however, is not a good idea, since this might lead to unsecured warheads, in dangerous hands.
OK, you wanted a Political discussion: Here goes.
The background I believe that:
* It's going to be as BAD as the last one.
* I call this Depression 2.0
* The current failures only bring us 25% into the problem!!
* According to Robert Reich (former Sec'y of Labor under Clinton): The only number that he EVER saw, defining the
depression was that the unemployment rate hovered around 25%.
* We need a new deal.
* After 58 years of NO Health Care Reform (since 1950!) it will FINALLY be coming soon...
* We've managed to WASTE a FULL generation (from Zero to thirty) with decaying social, educational, and interpersonal skills.
* Our nation is no longer DOING (producing) anything.
SO, from these few premises, I have extrapolated a great deal of items to FIX our society...
We need to make sure that a number of issues are resolved ALL at once.
If we don't do them ALL at once, its like juggling three RUNNING chain saws, but dropping one!
Here's what I came up with:
We need to do the FOLLOWING to FIX our Society:
* Create A Living Wage
* Create a National Single payer Healthcare
* Create a National 3-4 year draft (or alternate service)
* Create a Federally paid Day Care starting at six months
* Implement Tax Reform on the ULTRA Rich
* Lobbying (Political Reform)
* Infrastructure (road /bridge/Systems repairs)
* Lack of Training/futures
* Truth and Reconcilliation Commission
* A new "Manhattan" project, focusing on Energy INDEPENDENCE
See my other blog: http://sos-newdeal.blogspot.com for more details.