OK, This I believe:
We are headed into a period of time when we will have VERY VERY high unemployment,
and especially with the "traditionally under-employed" population segments (hispanic/black teenagers...)
I think that one of the best things we can do as a society is to create a NATIONAL time of SERVICE, after High School (mandatory).
This service can be of two types (and will serve two different purposes), and would be up to the individual teen-ager and family.
Type One: National (US only) Service (and training)
Type Two: Traditional Military Service (and training)
Type two (military service) would ALSO go towards removing the volunteer (and CONTRACTOR) army.
Type One service would work to rebuild the country, as well as teaching valid skills to many different worker classes.
OK, you wanted a Political discussion: Here goes.
The background I believe that:
* We're HEADING into a DEPRESSION.
* It's going to be as BAD as the last one.
* According to Robert Reich (former Sec'y of Labor under Clinton): The only number that he EVER saw, defining the
depression was that the unemployment rate hovered around 25%.
* We need a new deal.
* After 58 years of NO Health Care Reform (since 1950!) it will FINALLY be coming soon...
* We've managed to WASTE a FULL generation (from Zero to thirty) with decaying social, educational, and interpersonal skills.
* Our nation is no longer DOING (producing) anything.
SO, from these few premises, I have extrapolated a great deal of items to FIX our society...
We need to make sure that a number of issues are resolved ALL at once.
If we don't do them ALL at once, its like juggling three RUNNING chain saws, but dropping one!
Here's what I came up with:
We need to do the FOLLOWING to FIX our Society:
* Create A Living Wage
* Create a National Single payer Healthcare
* Create a National 3-4 year draft (or alternate service)
* Create a Federally paid Day Care starting at six months
* Implement Tax Reform on the ULTRA Rich
* Lobbying (Political Reform)
* Infrastructure (road /bridge/Systems repairs)
* Lack of Training/futures
* Truth and Reconcilliation Commission
* A new "Manhattan" project, focusing on Energy INDEPENDENCE
See my other blog: http://sos-newdeal.blogspot.com for more details.