700 BILLION dollars and NO oversight???
GO AWAY... and come back AFTER YOU're INDICTED for WAR CRIMES...
CONGRESS: NO OVERSIGHT, NO WAY.
WE WANT oversight. WE WANT judges to ORDER re-negotiation of Mortgages.
BUSHKIE. GO AWAY. YOU RUINED OUR COUNTRY ALREADY.
(Iraq weapons of mass destruction, Domestic SPYING inside ofthe USA)
Oh yeah: and BREAKING the GENEVA convention AGAINST torture.
WATER-Board DICK CHENEY NOW...
These have been MY personal opinionsOh, want details? ABC news covers the news (via AP of course) and says...
Congress today rebuffed White House pleas to quickly pass its $700 billion Wall Street bailout package without any changes...
and instead drafted bills that would require an oversight board ...and...and... assurances that no taxpayers' money would be used to finance golden parachutes for executives whose companies were at the heart of the economic crisis.
... and ...The Senate proposal went even further than the House bill by including a measure that would give judges the power to rewrite mortgages that were in danger of default to lower monthly payments and avoid foreclosure.
Congress balked at giving Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson a blank check to buy up a mountain of virtually worthless mortgages that posed the biggest threat to the banking industry since the Great Depression. Paulson insisted Sunday that it was only "a matter of days" before credit dried up completely and he argued against any changes to his proposal, including protection for homeowners or a cap on executive compensation.
President Bush added his voice to the urgency of the legislation today and urged Congress to quickly pass the measure and to drop its plans for amendments, saying their demands would "undermine the effectiveness of the plan."
"Indeed, the whole world is watching to see if we can act quickly to shore up our markets," Bush said.
Deputy White House spokesman Tony Fratto later urged Congress to not insist on a cap for executive compensation."We certainly understand. Yeah, we do. Bushkie is a TOTALLY immoral, great person to drink with, but I certainly would NEVER want him to run one of my COUNTRIES... OR companies...
Deport HIM to Saudia Arabia.
OK, you wanted a Political discussion: Here goes.
The background I believe that:
* We're HEADING into a DEPRESSION.
* It's going to be as BAD as the last one.
* The current failures only bring us 25% into the problem!!
* According to Robert Reich (former Sec'y of Labor under Clinton): The only number that he EVER saw, defining the
depression was that the unemployment rate hovered around 25%.
* We need a new deal.
* After 58 years of NO Health Care Reform (since 1950!) it will FINALLY be coming soon...
* We've managed to WASTE a FULL generation (from Zero to thirty) with decaying social, educational, and interpersonal skills.
* Our nation is no longer DOING (producing) anything.
SO, from these few premises, I have extrapolated a great deal of items to FIX our society...
We need to make sure that a number of issues are resolved ALL at once.
If we don't do them ALL at once, its like juggling three RUNNING chain saws, but dropping one!
Here's what I came up with:
We need to do the FOLLOWING to FIX our Society:
* Create A Living Wage
* Create a National Single payer Healthcare
* Create a National 3-4 year draft (or alternate service)
* Create a Federally paid Day Care starting at six months
* Implement Tax Reform on the ULTRA Rich
* Lobbying (Political Reform)
* Infrastructure (road /bridge/Systems repairs)
* Lack of Training/futures
* Truth and Reconcilliation Commission
* A new "Manhattan" project, focusing on Energy INDEPENDENCE
See my other blog: http://sos-newdeal.blogspot.com for more details.