Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Shout-Out: I'm a *H*A*I*R*y kind of Guy

Edit-2-21-09 Ya'all know that Hair is now back on Broadway again too, right?
wish I had the $$$ to see it again...

You'all Know I was raised in NYC (manhattan), right?

Well When I heard that a revivial of "THE TRIBAL Rock Musical", Hair was coming to Broadway this summer (first time since 1969), I was intrigued.

I first saw HAIR, when my big sister (9 years older then me) took me to see it when SHE was just a wee lass, unmarried, and a great influence on me.. (HIYA sis, if you read this!)

Better then that, it's FREE *(almost!)... It's at the Delacourt Theatre in Central Park. NO Thanks to Robert Moses the onetime Parks commissioner (among other titles he collected)of NYC, **

At any rate, the NYT's Review is here

I'm kind of Wistful, as I don't know if I can travel the 30 miles (to NYC) to get to see it before the end of August.

If you go:
Pack a LIGHT, disposable picnic lunch. Take PLENTY of water, or at least BOTTLES that can be FILLED with water...It gets VERY hot in the park during the day (doy.)
oh, and pack some sunscreen, as well as a good book and a frisbee!


* Free: Unless you are 'gifted' enough by the IRS to be able to DONATE CA$H to purchase PRE-reserved Seats, You are required to go in person (one person per two seats) to the theatre the DAY of the performance, and "hang out" in line. It makes a very very very nice picnic day. Last time I went, it was around 10am, and we got our seats about 5pm.



** Robert Moses demanded that Joseph Papp, Founder of the NY Shakespear festival charge admission for the summer plays at the Delacourte. It is a service to NYC that Mr. Papp refused, and so the plays are still (almost!) free.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
OK, you wanted a Political discussion: Here goes.

The background I believe that:
* We're HEADING into a DEPRESSION.
* It's going to be as BAD as the last one.
* According to Robert Reich (former Sec'y of Labor under Clinton): The only number that he EVER saw, defining the
depression was that the unemployment rate hovered around 25%.
* We need a new deal.
* After 58 years of NO Health Care Reform (since 1950!) it will FINALLY be coming soon...
* We've managed to WASTE a FULL generation (from Zero to thirty) with decaying social, educational, and interpersonal skills.
* Our nation is no longer DOING (producing) anything.
SO, from these few premises, I have extrapolated a great deal of items to FIX our society...

But....
We need to make sure that a number of issues are resolved ALL at once.
If we don't do them ALL at once, its like juggling three RUNNING chain saws, but dropping one!

Here's what I came up with:

We need to do the FOLLOWING to FIX our Society:
* Create A Living Wage
* Create a National Single payer Healthcare
* Create a National 3-4 year draft (or alternate service)
* Create a Federally paid Day Care starting at six months
* Implement Tax Reform on the ULTRA Rich
* Lobbying (Political Reform)
* Education
* Infrastructure (road /bridge/Systems repairs)
* Lack of Training/futures
* Truth and Reconcilliation Commission
* A new "Manhattan" project, focusing on Energy INDEPENDENCE

See my other blog: http://sos-newdeal.blogspot.com for more detailsu.

No comments: